Welcome Families, old and new!
I am looking forward to summer with your child. Our objective this summer will continue to be to develop important social/emotional, cognitive, and physical skills. Please feel free to reach out to me to let me know if you have any specific goals for your child this summer.
A little about me and my philosophy: I am a native Austinite and live with my 10-year-old daughter and FUMP graduate, Lina. We have a sweet cat named Estrella that we love to call family. After having many positive experiences with children throughout my life I realized my fascination with child behavior and development. I started studying child development back in high school and have been continuing my education ever since. This is my 13th year at FUMP. I have really enjoyed these years and have learned so much from my time working hands-on with the children here. I really love what I do.
My belief is that the most important skills your child will take away from their preschool experience will be social and emotional skills. My hope is that your child will learn positive ways to express themselves, feel confident enough to persist, and have a positive approach to learning. These are such invaluable skills to carry as they grow as learners. Here are some ways I plan to support these skills:
- Helping form healthy attachments with teachers and peers
- Encouraging independence
- Open-ended exploration
- Essential ASL signing
- Spaces to explore with their bodies
- Experiencing other children with needs separate from their own
- Exploring through their senses
On the following pages you will find lists of things to bring and to do to prepare for our summer days. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Things to bring to school to keep stored in the classroom:
- Sleeve of Diapers
- Diaper Cream
- Thin blanket
- 2-3 sets of extra clothes
- Teethers (in a ziploc, labeled)
Items to bring each day:
- Fresh set of bibs and/or burp clothes as needed
- Food items: bottles (ready to warm and serve), lunch/snack containers, water bottle (if applicable)
- Soothing items like pacifiers or lovies
- Replacement items for the things listed above
We highly encourage families to bring a small tote or kids backpack with their daily items. Our storage space is limited and this will help us access their items with efficiency.
*Label all personal items, please!*
This includes any food items or containers and clothing. First full name and last Initial for food items, as required by licensing.
*Apply sunscreen and bug spray prior to drop-off as teachers are not allowed to apply.*
- Use the Colorado entrance, left of the playground for drop off and pick up. You can message teachers through the Sandbox app to notify that you have arrived.
- Teachers will take the child’s temperature and bring them inside with their personal belongings.
- Sign your child in using Sandbox. Please make sure you have it downloaded and ready to go before your child’s first day. We will have a QR code posted on the door which you can bookmark or pin to your phone’s home screen for your convenience.
At the start of the summer sessions, our daily schedule will directly reflect the individual needs of the children. As we get a better idea of what that will look like, I will provide more of a group daily schedule for you. I will be sending you daily summaries of your child’s day using the Sandbox software. These can be viewed through the parent portal or the parent app. If you have any issues or questions about the Sandbox app or still need to set up your sign-in/out code, please reach out to Sandy.